Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Alex's latest talk

                Repentance/Atonement

I’ve been asked to speak on what I learned from General Conference. So I would like to talk about repentance and the Atonement since they co-exist with each other. Elder Christofferson said something that really stood out to me. “Repentance is a cause for celebration. Have a smile on your face when you speak the word.” That is an interesting way to look at repentance since the need to repent comes from the cause of first doing wrong in the sight of God. True to the faith says,  “Repentance is one of the first principles of the Gospel. It is essential to your happiness in this life and throughout eternity.” As I read that line and started to ponder that, I started to realize more fully what Elder Christofferson had meant.

The last part of Alma 41:10 came to mind, “Wickedness never was happiness.” As we go through life to experience it, we all see things that the world finds acceptable, even though God does not. And at times it even seems like they all are still happy, we wonder, “why can’t I do that.” Satan tries to have us make big mistakes. But most of us just wonder then accept what God commands and moves on. But some of us wonder and keep wondering till we give in and do whatever it is that God has commanded us not to do. And for a while it seems like all is good and we’re still happy. But soon, as we continue to live this lifestyle contrary to what God has told us we slowly or sometimes rapidly see the decline of our life. We start to feel the shame, the guilt, and the pains that come from our choices. Eventually we usually hit what we refer to as “Rock bottom.”

That point when we realize how good we’ve had it and what we’ve lost. A few of us even reach points where we feel lost. Beyond belief, everything we do seems to lead to more problems and suffering for us. Nothing works. We can’t seem to climb out of this hole we’re in. We might even feel that God himself has forsaken us. That he is done wasting his time on us. This is where the Atonement and Repentance comes in and we truly begin to understand what Elder Christofferson means by “Repentance is a cause for celebration.” Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ through the Atonement knows EXACTLY how we feel at this point. He is standing by waiting to pour out his Love and Comfort on us. He gives us our agency and lets us choose what we choose and doesn’t step in until we turn towards him.

As we begin the Repentance process and rely on our Saviors Atonement, it truly becomes a celebration as we work through it. As President Monson also said, “Repentance isn’t easy, but it is possible.” To be honest it truly can be one of the hardest things for us to do. We have to admit that we need help, that we cannot do it alone. We have to have sorrow for what we’ve done, realize that we’ve slipped up. We need to forsake our sins. We can’t just say we’ve repented then do it again. It doesn’t work. And we must confess them to God and if needed the proper priesthood authorities. The Gospel Principles manual explains this in more details and a few other steps. 

But, what I’ve listed off is the basics. Repentance can seem like a lot of work, which it is. But, Elder Christofferson said this,”whatever the cost of repentance, it is swallowed up in the joys of forgiveness.” Alma 36:12-14, 17-21 explains it well. In this, Alma the younger relates his experience to his son Helaman. (Read the scriptures.) Alma was suffering in such mighty pain and guilt, but as he turned towards the Lord he began to witness his pains being swept away and joy overcoming him. He felt the Joys of Forgiveness, and began to smile at the thought of repentance. We all can experience that joy of forgiveness that comes from repentance. We don’t have to commit great and grievous sins to experience it.

We don’t have to hit rock bottom to know that there is hope through the Atonement. We all need to repent for small sins. As it says in 2 Nephi 9:23, “…He commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name…”  It is something for all of us and we all should want to repent so we might experience the joys from it. As Elder Christofferson also said, “the divine gift of repentance is the key to happiness here and in the life to come.” As we repent here and find happiness in God’s ways, we experience it in the life to come. Because through our repentance here and the happiness that comes, we can experience the joys of living in our Heavenly Father’s presence in the life to come. That truly is a cause for celebration for that means we don’t have to settle for anything less than the highest kingdom as long as we truly repent and rely on our saviors Atonement.

 It’s amazing to know that I can make it all the way back to my Heavenly Father no matter what I’ve done, because of Gods plan for me and because my redeemer paid the price for my mistakes here. It helps me to have a “seriousness in purpose” like Elder Christofferson said. I try not to take that divine gift of repentance for granted and I know I can rely on it and my Saviors’s atonement as I go through various struggles that life presents me. He knows what help I need and how to administer it to me. I changed stuff and added to it while I was talking but I don’t remember what I said.

Here’s my testimony, though it is a little different.

I’d like to close with my testimony. Turn towards the Atonement. I don’t care what you’ve done, what your struggling with, what pains, fears, or doubt you have. As you turn towards our Savior and his atonement, he can and will help you because of that great and eternal sacrifice. He knows in the flesh, exactly how you feel and he can help you overcome it. I know he loves you and that anything is possible. I’ve seen and felt it in my own life and I know it will bless your life as you truly use and understand it and I promise you these things, in the name of our Great Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment